Thursday 11 February 2010

Haikus

Haikus are traditional Japanese poems arranged in three phrases consisting of 5,7 and 5 syllables each. Short yet powerful, they are in my opinion, one of the most expressive forms of poetry. The strength of a haiku lies in its ability to evoke with very few words a picture in the reader's mind. The more vivid the picture...and the more room there is for interpretation, the better the haiku! While Japanese haikus generally contain a reference to a particular season, modern day English ones often deviate from this rule.

This muse was inspired by Taruna's blog on the subject - so thank you to her! The ones below are arranged roughly in the order in which I like them. Read on and feel free to interpret!

1.
The entrances packed
Empty space in the middle -
Peak hour city bus.

2.
Speeding down the road,
Throbbing anger in my veins -
Deer in my headlights.

3.
Distant flash of red
hood, a silent scolding - you
should have held on, dear.

4.
Thin frost on spring buds -
Old man, young boy study each
other across years.

12 comments:

Ashwat said...

These are extremely nice
short poems
I must say

Ashwat said...

What does the third one mean? Is it a subtle reference to a Freud-esqe interpretation of the famous fairy tale?

Sid said...

Ah, thank you, thank you!

Fairy tale? Which one?

The picture I wanted to paint was of the thoughts running through a boys mind when he looks at an old man and vice versa...

Ashwat said...

Daai...number three, not four.

Sid said...

Ach! Sorry machan.

Ahh, third one - I think I'm beginning to like that the best. Tis meant to be a parent looking for a lost kid in the crowd...

Shruti said...

A straightforward interpretation of the third one??( To me ).. like a GAP jacket with a red hood.or a devil in a red hood... the devil looks female to me( dont ask me why)...; or me silently scolding the drooling passerby.. or a last line i hear before i die (early)...??

Unknown said...

i liked ur poem siddhu!!!!!!!!

Sid said...

Thanks...manaswi. Whoever you may be.

Unknown said...

u have expressed the poem nicely in 3 short lines siddhu.....................where r u staying at present ...bye n take care ..........

Sid said...

And just in case you're wondering - I am not the actor Siddharth Narayan - terribly sorry to... disappoint in that regard :p

Sam said...

I must say, some of the last comments are as interesting as the post itself! ;) Great work, Sid, especially the first and fourth ones :)

Sid said...

Hahaha...finally! Thanks Sam - I knew I could count on you... though it needed some patience :D.

Extremely frustrating, mistaken-celebrity life is. :p